Thursday, October 11, 2012

Review - Popped Off

Title: Popped Off
Author: Jeffrey Allen
Publisher: Kensington (September 4, 2012) )
Format: Paperback; Pgs 320
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Source: Library
Series: Deuce Winters #2


It warms my heart, maybe that is the Pumpkin Spice Latte talking, but it truly makes me feel good when the second book in a series is as good as the first. Jeffrey Allen is a new to me author whom I had taken a chance on with his first book, Stay at Home Dead. Wondering if he could hold the momentum, I picked up the second book and I swear I laughed my way through this book as much as I had the first.

I do not know if it is the politically incorrect tone that Deuce takes with his new investigative partner or the frankness of his father, but between the two of them, I was giggling my way through this book.

Julianne, Deuce’s wife, has decided that she wants another baby, their life with their daughter is perfect, but now it is time for a second. She has no patience when there is something that she wants and has set up charts and graphs for her best days and Deuce had better live up to the schedule. He is not complaining, but he is coaching his daughter’s soccer team the Might Fightin’ Tiny Mermaids, trying to find the King of Soccer who has absconded with the leagues funds, trying to figure out a bevy of sorority girls and last but not least, find a truckload of trophies that seem to have quite a hidden treasure.

Just another day in the life of a stay at home dad with a precocious daughter, a wife that he adores, a father that has a very blunt way of expressing his opinions, a business partner that appears to bring out the worst in him and a community that would be at a loss without his insight.

I really enjoy this series and I hope that Mr. Allen is able to bring many more Deuce Winter’s books to the table. The cozy market is getting a bit redundant, but with this addition, there seems to be a new series that will bring me back for more.

No comments: