Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Advent of a Mystery

This review is harder to write than I thought it would be. I think it comes down to the fact that it felt to me like two different people were writing this book. One part was a well thought out even flowing mystery and the second part fell into old trite idioms and ridiculous comments from an American author that was trying too hard to sound British and that combination took away from the overall good mystery that was building.

Set in an English village at Christmas time, Berdie Elliott the wife of the newly arrived parish priest stumbles upon the body of a reclusive neighbor. As all fingers point in the logical direction, Berdie uses her past investigative reporter skills to ferret out the real culprit and unties old family secrets.

Though a couple parts are a bit farfetched, this story falls more into the current cozy genre then the time traditional Agatha Christie that the original summary refers to. I might be tempted to continue this series if Ms Leach can just decide what flow she wants to stick with. Write a good mystery and for goodness sakes, limit the idioms.

5 comments:

DuhBearsFan said...

Very nice review. You give us a clear sense of what works and what is problematic.

Unknown said...

I would imagine the American author trying to sound British bit was rather bloody annoying. (haha - see what I did there? anyway....)
Sounds like it has potential though.

Amy said...

Despite it being hard to write, that was still a good review and I appreciate it.

And despite the difficulties of an American trying to write a British-set mystery, it actually sounds like my cup 'o tea! So thanks!

Unknown said...

Well said, Nancy. Your thought are clearly spelled out, and it is very fair and balanced. I think I will pass on this one.

The Phantom Paragrapher said...

Ive just finished reading it and Im with you as I also thought it had a hint of English/ American to it. Great story though and Im a new follower
www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com