Thursday, April 4, 2024

Death at Lovers' Leap

Title: Death at Lovers' Leap
Author: Catherine Coles
Published: February 16, 2024 by Boldwood Books
Format: Kindle, 280 Pages
Genre: Amateur Sleuth
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.
Series: Martha Miller #3

First Sentence: February 1948. I didn’t expect to receive a card, not really.

Blurb: As Valentine's Day rolls around, Martha Miller finds herself unusually melancholy at the state of her own love life. With husband Stan still missing and with her growing feelings for Vicar Luke still shrouded in secrecy, there’s only one place Martha can go - famous local beauty spot, Lovers' Leap.

Legend has it that those with a broken heart throw themselves off the bridge that spans the river, but Martha is certainly not about to do such a thing! But it looks like someone else has had other ideas….

Because there in the river, Martha finds a body. But is this misadventure, a moment of lovesick madness, or is foul play afoot?

Martha knows one thing…the villagers of Westleham have another crime to solve!

My Opinion: This book was a letdown for me. The book’s pacing didn’t quite capture my attention and the last 20% was the saving grace since the journey to get there isn’t engaging. I am hesitant about continuing with this series since this experience wasn’t enjoyable. Perhaps the next book might offer a more engaging narrative that will keep me hooked from start to finish.

I am not sure if I will continue with the Martha Miller series. It is always a difficult decision if a series is the right fit or if there is just one bad book. Now, I must decide if it is time to explore new authors and series that better align with my changing reading preferences.

No comments: