Monday, November 13, 2023

Bulletproof Barista

Title: Bulletproof Barista
Author: Cleo Coyle
Published: November 14, 2023 by Berkley
Format: Kindle, Hardcover 352 pages
Genre: Amateur Sleuth
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for the opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.
Series: Coffeehouse Mystery #20

First Sentence: Prologue: One screw loosened. Then two. Then three….

Blurb: Only Murders in Gotham, the smash hit streaming show, is famous for filming in authentic New York City locations and using real New Yorkers as extras. For their latest episode, they've chosen to spotlight the century-old Village Blend and its quirky crew of baristas.

But when the film crew's week of shooting delivers an actual shooting, coffeehouse manager and master roaster Clare Cosi and her staff find themselves at the scene of a true crime.

My Opinion: The story did not primarily take place in the Village Blend, which made me crave coffee less than I usually do while reading this series. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing, just surprising. I felt the plotting was a bit drawn out, and there were not enough subplots to keep me engaged. I missed the charming naiveté of Nancy and the quick barbs of Esther. Additionally, there was not enough mention of Madam and Matt, except for a brief moment when Matt saves an incidental character.

In the next book, I hope the author focuses more on the main characters that have made this series so popular and enjoyable to read.

No comments: