Monday, November 14, 2022

The Girls on the Shore

Title: The Girls on the Shore
Author: Ann Cleeves
Published: January 11th 2022 by Minotaur Books
Format: Kindle Edition, 36 pages
Genre: Police Procedural
Series: Two Rivers #2.5

Blurb: It was winter. Cold and clear, a different sort of day for this coast where the westerly winds usually blew rain and cloud.

Detective Inspector Matthew Venn is standing by his kitchen window when he first spots them. Two young girls, facing away from him, seemingly staring towards something in the distance. They are holding hands, and they are alone.

Though not a natural with children, Matthew knows he must find out why the girls are here, on a school day, unsupervised. And so he meets Olivia and Imogen, a pair of sisters whose secrets Matthew must uncover if he hopes to get them home.

My Opinion: I love a book with a good plot twist. Ann Cleeves takes advantage of the reader’s assumption as to whom the perpetrator is, and just when you become complacent, there comes the twist.

I enjoy the Two Rivers series. I have only watched the Shetland and Vera series and know that adaptations wander too far from the written word, so I can only do one or the other, and I am glad I went with the written version of Two Rivers. Detective Inspector Matthew Venn has his own form of damage, but that is what makes him and his team so endearing. They bring compassion, and that is what draws me back.

Anne, take as much time as you need to get to the next book; I will be here waiting.

No comments: