Monday, September 26, 2022

Blood Lure

Title: Blood Lure
Author: Nevada Barr
Published: 2001 by Putnam Adult
Format: Hardcover, 320 pages
Genre: Mystery
Series: Anna Pigeon #9

First Sentence: With the exception of a nine-week-old Australian shepherd puppy, sniffing and whining as if he’d discovered a treasure chest and sought a way inside, everyone was politely pretending Anna didn’t stink.

Blurb: While studying grizzly bears in Waterton/Glacier National Peace Park on the border of Montana and Canada, ranger Anna Pigeon finds herself in the midst of a series of deadly bear attacks that leave her struggling to re-evaluate her own view of nature. (GoodReads)

My Opinion: To be honest, I have no idea how Anna has survived from one book to the next. I have lost count of her sprains, strains, and concussions. Yet she survives only to face another close call in a new state park.

Midway through, I still had no idea where this book was going or when we would get there. When we arrived, I questioned the ending. Really? All that was missing was a tutu and a tricycle. I expected more from Nevada Barr. Maybe that is on me. I should learn to appreciate the narrative and the history and science involved.

Luckily, the conclusion wrapped things up, and I am glad there was a happily ever after, but still, one does wonder if Balthazar's story was planned or convenient.

No comments: