Thursday, January 6, 2022

The Ursulina

Title: The Ursulina
Author: Brian Freeman
Published: February 1, 2022, Blackstone Publishing
Format: Kindle, Hardcover, 300 Pages
Genre: Police Procedural
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.
Series: Shelby Lake #2

First Sentence: Believe me, I'm not trying to convince you that I'm a better person than I am, or asking you to find any sympathy for me in your heart.

Synopsis: The mythical beast goes by many names. Bigfoot. Sasquatch. Yeti.

In Black Wolf County, he's called ... the Ursulina.

But to Deputy Rebecca Colder, the beast is no myth. A serial killer has taken on the identity of the monster--and with each body left behind, there's a chilling message written in blood. I am the Ursulina. (Goodreads)

My Opinion: The Ursulina is a prequel to the Deep, Deep Snow; yet a story that could not be told first.

The reader may not have grasped what was going on in the first couple of pages, but they catch on quickly. By midway, the story was beginning to lag, but then you realized Brian Freeman was letting you catch your breath, much like the top of the roller-coaster, before all heck breaks loose and you are in for a ride, and a conclusion, you hadn’t anticipated.

Brian Freeman is adept at sudden left turns. In retrospect, the clues might have been there, but he was one step ahead, leading you towards a path well-traveled, knowing all along you were with him one hundred percent and he was going to zing you with your gullibility.

No comments: