Monday, December 27, 2021

Daughter of the Morning Star

Title: Daughter of the Morning Star
Author: Craig Johnson
Published: September 21st, 2021 by Viking
Format: Hardcover, 336 pages
Genre: Police Procedural
Series: Longmire #17

First Sentence: “Play me.” Sometimes I drive to the borders of my county and look for the end of the world and sometimes I see it, or I think I do, but maybe what I see is myself, and that’s enough to send me scurrying back the other way.

Synopsis: When Lolo Long's niece Jaya begins receiving death threats, Tribal Police Chief Long calls on Absaroka County Sheriff Walt Longmire along with Henry Standing Bear as lethal backup. Jaya Longshot Long is the phenom of the Lame Deer Lady Stars High School basketball team and is following in the steps of her older sister, who disappeared a year previously, a victim of the scourge of missing Native Women in Indian Country. Lolo hopes that having Longmire involved might draw some public attention to the girl's plight, but with this maneuver, she also inadvertently places the good sheriff in a one-on-one with the deadliest adversary he has ever faced in both this world and the next. (Goodreads)

My Opinion: I love the stories Craig Johnson tells. Some go deeper than others, but there is always history to learn and new people to meet. There is also humor, sometimes you don’t think you should be laughing, but you can’t help yourself.

This story might be a bit too woo-woo for some but stay with it. It will grab your heart, and you will feel yourself both questioning and cheering when it comes to Jaya Long and what she has had to endure, along with the stress of a town riding on her shoulders.

The Walt Longmire of the books is very different from the Walt in the Longmire series. I prefer the books and hope readers, which are new to Walt Longmire, will forget what they watched and hang on to what they read.

No comments: