Monday, July 19, 2021

Playing for Dead

Title: Playing for Dead
Author: Matthew Costello, Neil Richards
Published: July 31st 2014 by Bastei Entertainment
Format: Kindle, 107 pages
Genre: Mystery
Series: Cherringham #9

First Sentence: Getting into the deserted theater had been easy.

From the Publisher: When Cherringham Drama Society invite a local TV celebrity to direct their Christmas show, they get more publicity than they bargained for. Someone's out to sabotage the event, and rehearsals spin into chaos. Jack and Sarah are asked to investigate and soon discover that there's a darker mystery taking place behind the scenes ...

My Opinion: I can’t emphasize enough how perfect these short novellas are when you can’t quite decide what you want to read next but know a small break and revisit to Cherringham will fill the reading gap.

When it came to this story, I am pretty sure I stopped focusing on the mystery itself and more on the budding attraction between Jack and Sarah. Barely a third of the way through this series; their relationship has become the center of my focus. Would it be so bad? Sure, there is an age gap in which one or both might not see their way around, but they work so well together.

But back to the story and the twist, I didn’t see coming. I’m not sure if others had since they will certainly focus on other things, but I liked how it snuck up on me and perfectly tied everything together.

No comments: