Monday, April 5, 2021

Murder By Page One

Title: Murder by Page One
Author: Olivia Matthews
Published: March 23rd 2021 by Hallmark Publishing
Format: Kindle, Paperback, 336 pages
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.
Series: Peach Coast Mystery #1

After the first couple of chapters, I was ready to put this book down. The characters did not appeal to me, the oversimplistic approach grated on me, and the feel of – let’s throw a cat in here to catch the sympathy of the readers was off-putting.

Marvey, and if she had a last name, I have forgotten it, moved from Brooklyn, New York to Peach Coast, Georgia, to take over as a librarian tasked with developing readership and community involvement. When a body is discovered and her friend Jo, which once again, I didn’t think Marvey had been in town long enough to have such close ties that she was willing to put her life on the line for, is under suspicion. Marvey and the son (how they met was never fleshed out) of a local wealthy family and newspaper owner, join forces and talents to save the day and find the true murderer.

As a Hallmark publication, I am wondering if the plan is to turn this book into a Hallmark Movie and Mystery series. If so, haven’t we already had a few too many librarian sleuths in the cozy genre? Granted, there are a few old standards that might charm a Hallmark audience, but overall, this book did not appeal to me.

No comments: