Monday, October 24, 2016

Storm Front

Title: Storm Front
Author: Jim Butcher
Published: April 2000 by Penguin ROC
Format: Paperback, 355 pages
Genre: Urban Fantasy
Series: Dresden Files #1

This is not my typical read; there is something about urban fantasy that has never really appealed to me, yet after a friends urging, I picked up this book with a great deal of reluctance and by the end, I was surprised that Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden, a wizard of all things, had me curious about book number two.

You are right, I am coming into this series very late and not a particular fan of this genre, but when it comes to investigation type storylines, all the boxes were checked. A damsel in distress looking for her wayward husband. A down on his luck detective with a barely functioning car who does not have a very good reputation with the local constabulary. Said law enforcement does not like said wizard but needs his help when a couple is found dead with their bodies having been horribly savaged. A case that starts sliding sideways early on so you add a bit of female distraction. Not to show favoritism, if you are going to throw in a wizard why not other beings, let’s say, a vampiress. Bad guys that want everyone dead so their private “ThreeEye” enterprise can continue. Pizza loving faeries are always good to have around and continuing down that road a couple magic spells, demons, a spirit that lives in a skull on a bookcase, a giant scorpion and to balance things out a normal love interest.

Not all parts of this book were appealing, but I did enjoy the humor. Who could not laugh with a book that borders on the ridiculous but keeps you shaking you head all the way through? Harry is likable but after book number two, I just might find myself heading over to the DVD’s since the first book was more on the visual side and I think that they might be even more appealing to watch.

No comments: