Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Muddied Murder

Title: A Muddied Murder
Author: Wendy Tyson
Published: March 29th 2016 by Henery Press
Format: eBook, Paperback, 288 pages
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Source: My thanks to Netgalley and Henery Press for an opportunity to read an advanced copy of this book.
Series: A Greenhouse Mystery #1

I admit that I was a bit apprehensive when it came to yet another cozy mystery series by an unknown to me author. I tend to stick with those that I have liked in the past and a new untried writer was a pond that I did not want to step in to.

Wendy Tyson pleasantly surprised me -- she did not present the usual fluff that new writers to this genre tend to do. Her characters were engaging without being foolish. There were multiple plot lines that kept the reader engaged with an ending that was not apparent from the beginning.

Less than two years ago, Megan Sawyer was tied to a desk in Chicago defending big companies from environment claims. Today she is in Winsome, a rural Pennsylvania town where she is running an organic gentlemen’s farm and supplying the local farmers market and a new store and cafĂ© with her goods.

Simon Duvall is found dead in her barn and word is trickling down to her that her farm, Washington Acres was supposed to be sold to the Winsome Historical Society. This was never in her plan, the farm had been in her family’s name for over seventy-five years and there was rumor that George Washington had once stayed on this property. With fingers being pointed and the identity of the killer in question, Megan is determined to figure this out and finally answer why her farm is being targeted.

As I said, the who and why in this story is not obvious from the start and the author does take the reader on a winding road, but in the end it was well explained and the reader is introduced to memorable characters that I hope will make reappearances in future books.

No comments: