Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Dream a Little Scream

Title: Dream a Little Scream
Author: Mary Kennedy
Published: August 4th 2015 by Berkley
Format: Paperback, 304 pages
Genre: Cozy Mystery
Series: Dream Club Mystery #2

When the climax of the story is peaking, the first thing that came to my mind was “he’s got a flip phone?” Somehow I am thinking that this is not what the author had intended for me to be thinking about; but this story had gone on for so long that I was easily distracted.

For me, it was hard to take a crime mystery seriously when it revolves around receiving clues from dreams. I know that the premise of the book is dream interpretation and since this is a cozy mystery, I went along with it. When the storyline becomes stagnant, the group is very fortunate in that someone will have a dream that will point them in the right direction. I know I should not be insulting since I am the one that chose this book and continued to read, but there has to be limits.

When Taylor Blake and her sister Ali are not running their candy shop in Savannah, Georgia, they are hosting Dream Club meetings in their apartment. When Sonia Scott, a celebrity chef, arrives in town and agrees to a book signing, Taylor and the club have their hands full when one member swears that Sonia has stolen her family’s recipes, one member holds her responsible for a family member’s career demise and Sonia herself is embroiled in an affair with a person on her own team. What the dream club had not anticipated was Sonia’s sudden death. Now the real question to the group is -- can their dreams help them to solve this crime before Taylor and Ali lose their shop.

Add in the usual side romance of the main character and cats and you have a typical cozy mystery. The location and the unique way that the mystery is solved, through dream interpretation, and a little bit of private detection, makes this series a little different than the rest. Will the premise appeal to everyone, I cannot say but it was a way to spend a couple of hours on a quiet weekend.

No comments: