Friday, September 4, 2015

One Pot, One Bowl

Title: 4 Ingredients One Pot, One Bowl: Rediscover the Wonders of Simple, Home-Cooked Meals
Author: Kim McCosker
Published: February 12th 2013 by Atria Books
Format: Paperback, 208 pages
Genre: Cookbook

I admit I was curious as to how four ingredients could create a simple main course that would be palatable. Not that I am a food snob, but I like to cook and rarely do I find simple recipes that pack enough flavor.

Kim McCosker reinvents easy main courses, but for me, they are lacking in flavor depth. Granted, the beginning of the book states that salt and pepper are not included in the four ingredients, but then again rarely are there any other seasonings listed. You will have to dress up each according to your personal likes. For instance, her version of Sloppy Joes includes ground beef, onion, bell pepper and ketchup. That is it. For me, even with salt and pepper, there is no flavor.

I would consider the recipes here as a starting point. There are some very good ideas and the pictures really give you a feel of how they should look, but it will be up to you, as an individual, as to where you want to take them.

No comments: