Thursday, May 21, 2015

Love You More

Title: Love You More
Author: Lisa Gardener
Published: March 8th 2011 by Bantam
Format: Hardcover, 368 pages
Genre: Police Procedural / Suspense
Series: #1 in Tessa Leoni,#5 in D.D. Warren

This book lost me somewhere in the middle. It lagged and did not show enough forward momentum for me to stay fully engaged. As a fan of this genre, I enjoy when little crumbs are dropped throughout the book, but that seemed to be missing.

This is a break off novel from Lisa Gardner’s D.D. Warren series. The new character of state trooper Tessa Leoni is being introduced and the reader is thrust into her life on the night of her husband’s murder and her daughter’s disappearance. Told in alternating chapters between Tessa and D.D. Warren, the lead investigator, the reader learns who Tessa is, who Tessa was and why her husband Brian Darby had to die.

Duel perspective books can lead to confusion but that was not so with this book. The reader discerns early on that Tessa knows more than she is letting on about the abduction of her daughter and her husband’s death, but still there are no crumbs for the reader to follow down this winding path. It is not until the end of the book when Tessa has her “ah-ha” moment and the reader witnesses her desperation to find her daughter.

Maybe it is me, but I like my mystery and suspense novels to have nice little bows on top. This book does not. I cannot say that I like Tessa – the lying vigilante that she is was not a character that I could cheer on. I see that this is the first in a series and I will eventually give the next a chance only to see if there are any redeeming qualities to Tessa, but I am hesitant.

No comments: