Friday, May 24, 2013

Reviw - Devious

Title: Devious
Author: Lisa Jackson
Publisher: Kensington (March 29, 2011)
Format: Hardcover; Pgs 432
Genre: Romantic Suspense
Source: Library
Series: A Rick Bentz/Reuben Montoya Novel #7


By the time I was a third of the way though this book, I wondered when it would ever end. Half way and I was convinced it was never-ending, by the end, I truly could care less who was killing the nuns or why.

So why did I continue reading – I have absolutely no idea. I would pick it up and read a little bit here and there hoping for a spark that would grab me, but that never happened.

Devious is the 7th book in the New Orleans Series by Lisa Jackson and I will tell you right now that I did not read the first six, but I do not feel that I missed anything. How is that you ask - there were repeated discussions about a previous book where a priest was killing women, but that storyline was rehashed to the point that I got more than a general feeling of the previous storyline.

The book opens with the murder of a nun wearing a wedding gown at St Marguerite’s Cathedral in New Orleans. She has been garroted and her body was covered with an alter cloth. Sister Camille has had quite a past but that was no reason to kill her, unless the fact that she is pregnant had anything to do with it.

When her sister Val gets involved, the investigation slowly unfolds, as the bodies pile up the story is unraveled. The waters become a bit muddied when one of the investigators realizes that he had dated one of the still living nuns before she entered the convent. Add in a handsome priest that is turning the nun’s heads, an orphanage closing down and adoption recorders of Val and Camille are revealed. Plus, Val’s husband has rolled into town and wants to rekindle their marriage. Just when you think you have reached the boiling point, an insidious serial killer dressed as a priest is back and killing again.

Yes, there are a couple more parts that I left out and if I had included them, you would have felt that this recap was just as never-ending as the book.

This book was not a good match for me. There was just too much thrown in and not enough to hold my interest.

No comments: