Tuesday, April 3, 2012

First Chapter, First Paragraph - The Kingdom

Title: The Kingdom
Author: Amanda Stevens
Publisher: Mira(March 27, 2012) Pgs 380
Format: eBook
Genre: Suspense
Source: Amazon Digital
Series: Graveyard Queen #2


Hosted by Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea





Chapter 1

The breeze off the water carried a slight chill even though the sun had barely begun its western slide. It was still hours until twilight. Hours until the veil between our world and the next would thin, but already I could feel the ripple of goose bumps at the back of my neck, a sensation that almost always signaled an unnatural presence.

I resisted the temptation to glance over my shoulder. Years of living with ghosts had instilled in me an aberrant discipline. I knew better than to react to those greedy, grasping entities so I leaned against the deck rail and stared intently into the greenish depths of the lake. But from my periphery, I tracked the other passengers on the ferry.

Synopsis

My name is Amelia Gray. They call me the Graveyard Queen. I've been commissioned to restore an old cemetery in Asher Falls, South Carolina, but I'm coming to think I have another purpose here.

Why is there a cemetery at the bottom of Bell Lake? Why am I drawn time and again to a hidden grave I've discovered in the woods? Something is eating away at the soul of this town--this withering kingdom--and it will only be restored if I can uncover the truth.

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

This one sounds creepy enough to stir my interest. It's new to me so hope it's a good one...enjoy