Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Sari Shop Widow


The Sari Shop Widow

Shobhan Bantwal

4 out of 5

I loved the beginning of this book, the strong independent Anjali Kapadia who in her late 30's is widowed with no children and lives with her parents in the little India section of Edison, NJ.

When it becomes apparent that their boutique is in financial despair they call upon Jeevan, their very wealthy relative. Though feared for his abrupt manner and his no nonsense business style, they have no choice but to take him on as a business partner. When Jeevan arrives he is not alone, in walks a very charming Rishi Shah. And unfortunately, that is where the book changes - from a book about a strong Indian woman to a romance with Anjali left a weeping mass of indecision.

Though still a well written story, I would have much preferred Bantwal staying on the less traveled road and keeping Anjali independent. I understand the characters loneliness, but to have her character getting weak in the knees was not how she was presented in the beginning. I enjoy strong women characters, occasional romance, but to have a characters change so completely was a bit of a let down.

I will continue to read this author, but in the future, I will be researching a little bit more to see if Bantwal is really a romance writer, that way, I'll know what I am getting into.

3 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I liked this book well enough and rated it the same as you Nancy.

Taminator said...

I actually think I might like this one, romance and all. Good job.

Anonymous said...

Well balanced review, Nancy!