Thursday, January 8, 2009

The Tales From Outer Suburbia


The Tales From Outer Suburbia
(New Author Challenge)

Shaun Tan

5 out of 5

Having never picked up a graphic “novel”, it’s less than 100 pages so I’m not sure novel is the correct word, before I had no idea what I was in for, but if this is typical of the genre, I am a huge fan.

Short tales packed with great imagery, superb graphics, and lasting memories of great adventures and bittersweet moments. I don’t think I am ever going to forget the poem, about poems. Incredible.

The book is designed for the 12 and older set and trust me, the tales are not just for the young, even those of us that have young, can get a whole lot out of these stories. Definitely a book that will stay on the shelf for a long time and brought out again and again when I need something to remind me of the truly important things in life.

The book has something for everyone, take a chance, you won’t be disappointed.

2 comments:

Linda in New York said...

I've only read one set of graphic novels and they were the superhero genre. This sounds wonderful, much more my cup of tea. Thanks for shedding some light on this book format - I hope to get a look at it soon.

Beth F said...

Sounds really good. I'm in the Graphics Novel challenge and I'll have to think about adding this to my list. Your review is a great teaser -- I want to know more!