Thursday, April 5, 2007

February Books and Movies

#5
Night
Elie Wiesel
0
Non-Fiction
4
Library

Audio. I have put both this book and Sophie's Choice off for a long time. The subject matter is just to abhorrent to me that I truly had a hard time trying to stomach it and just couldn't force myself to read them. Having said that, I think I let my imagination run away with itself because I wasn't as drawn in by this book as I thought I would be. Maybe because I wouldn't let myself. Maybe because the writing wasn't as gut wrenching at I assumed it would be. Maybe because man's inhumanity to man isn't so "new" or "surprising" anymore.

#6
Dead for Life
Ethan Black
2003
320
Fiction
3.5
Library

Apparently Ethan Black is a hit or miss kind of author and unfortunately this was a miss for me. Conrad Voort is from the first family of police investigators in NYC. A serial killer has decided that Voort is the reason why his life has gone from perfect to victim. The killer has planned 4 murders before midnight and leaves a note at each site that only Voort understands.

DNF
Godless the Church of Liberalism
Ann Coulter
2006
0
Non-Fiction
Library
Audio. I need to switch over to the book. Ann is the narrator and she talks way too fast for me to digest this. I know that most people don't like her, but I think she is funny.

#7
The Friday Night Knitting Club
Kate Jacobs
2007
352
Fiction
3.5
Library

When Georgia discovers that she is pregnant and James is out of her life, she has some important life decisions to make - one of which is to not go home to her parents, but to stay in New York and find a way to support herself and her daughter. The only thing that she knows how to do well is knit. With the help of a mentor and new friend, Walker and Daughter Yarn Shop is born. I was enjoying this book and the characters, but then the author lost direction and need to end the book and suddenly she dropped the big "C" with complications and not everyone lives so happily ever after. I hate when an author does that. That has been done repeatedly, can't authors be more creative.

#8
The Last Town on Earth
Thomas Mullens
2006
392
Historical Fiction
3
Library

A long drawn out tedious book. Based on the 1918 Flu Epidemic that swept across America. This book takes place in the mythical town of Commonwealth, Washington. When the flu begins to hit neighboring towns hard, the owners of a remote mill town decide to cut themselves off and live in a self imposed quarantine. All seems to go well until the flu comes to town. Was it carried by the two soldiers or were there other reasons? Alot of guilt and a lot of finger pointing. The last quarter of the book was better then the beginning. You just have to muddle through to get there.


#3
Movie: Emma
5
Masterpiece Theater
The new 2007 version. I really enjoyed this adaptation. For some reason it was easier to follow.

Total Pages Read - February 1064

1 comment:

Taminator said...

Good job, Nancy! I'm liking it.

Tammy from WR